Sunday, October 3, 2010

Why yes, I am posting back to back!

But I really wanted to take a moment and give this blog a bit more back story- one day (in the very distant future) there will be lots of entries, and those who wonder in should hopefully be able to get the full picture by just reading through, but for now....



This is specifically a BJD (ball jointed doll) related blog. You probably won't be seeing any updates strictly pertaining to me (the human ;p) here.

No, I don't actually have a doll at the moment- I'm searching and looking- mostly looking.

Why February Blooms? Well, thats apt to change, but I really like the name Plum for a doll, and since plum trees bloom in February... I also love to see blooming plum trees- they are really something else. Also, one of my favorite seasonal motifs on Japanese kimono is... yep, plum blossoms!

So, in the first entry, you talked about getting a Dollfie, then in your next entry you moaned about missing a change to get some other doll (it was a Volks MSD Myu btw) ... care to explain?
     Well, you see... that is a slightly complicated thing for me. I do like Dollfies, and have resigned myself to the fact that they may be all that I can ever afford... BUT in my perfect world, I would have the money to buy whatever doll, of whatever size and brand I wanted to. My perfect world doll is actually a Ringdoll Wagashi (seen here) but I will probablly end up with something in a mini size.

Whoa, why not just wait the X amount of time it takes to be able to buy Wagashi then?
      That is, once again, a very good question. It has more to do with conforming to "normality" than with money... Wagashi is a large doll- she stands 59cm high. While not overly tall for a large doll, to most non-doll people, that is a very large doll- who yes, to the same folks, has a very large price tag ($449). When I sat down with myself, and really though over what all I wanted in a doll, I wanted a doll that would have the least potential for remorse or embarrassment (yes I will admit it, I don't want folks pointing fun at me or my doll, or to feel as if I spent a lot of money on something that might not get everyday use), but one that also was still esthetically pleasing to me. If I simply wanted the cheapest large doll that I could find, I would buy the Fantasy Doll Nina (here), She really is a very pretty doll- I wouldn't mind having one of her around... but for that she is about the same size as Wagashi and if I'm going big, I'm saving up for Wagashi. So back to this size issue we come. For some reason its just settled in my mind that dolls of about that size are going to attract more attention, and a smaller one- even one given the same attention to detail as a large doll- even one costing more than the large doll, will be more socially acceptable. Lets face it- to many of us smaller=cuter. Whats cute, people tend to like, and what people like, tends to get more public use. I also don't really have any good space to be storing a large doll, from a more practical point of view.
  Am I over thinking this, and quite possibly just making crap up? Probably, but hey, we all have our eccentric thoughts, this is one of mine. I do NOT want to buy a doll that may cause any form of remorse down the line... because that would just taint the doll, and then what if I never "play" with it again for feeling bad about having it? Issues- I has them.

So... ok, you don't want a doll that you will regret, so that knocks out the doll you really love, what type of doll DO you want?!
  Err, a pretty one? That stands somewhere between mini and tiny size? I know that the tinies are just too small for me to fall in love with, but a smaller mini would be awesome. I love the Volks company- they really try to connect with their owners(customers). I've yet to find a MSD that stole my breath away, but I've never seen all the full system choice molds either, so that may be the cure.... except you have to order a full system doll in person... in California. Yep, not going to happen anyyytime soon.

So, that is where I stand. If you are confused, don't worry so am I- but hey, I don't have any money to spend on a doll right now, so I've got time (unless I spot another Volks head or something...).

No comments:

Post a Comment